Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Can You Live Without TV or Internet???

I can't deny that I love watching TV or surfing the internet which includes blogging. If I think about it, I spend quite a lot of time in front of TV or computer at night. That's bad and I've always wanted to change that about me...

When my daughters and I were having dinner tonight, Ju Ju spilled her drink - I was just about to tell her to stop playing with her cup when splat, her chocolate milk was all over the table. But I didn't hear "I'm sorry" from her mouth. I could careless about the spiling as long as it was accident. Things happen. But, she knew what she was doing was wrong and yet she was smiling. And when I heard "Well mommy, I didn't mean it," that was it. It almost sounded like she didn't even care. So I told her to sit in time out. I told her she can't watch TV for the rest of the night. Oh she didn't like that at all!

That's when I thought about my childhood, how my father used to play music at night instead of having us all watch TV. We had a ground rule and I barely remember watching TV when I was Ju Ju's age. What I remember is I used to watch my dad making some tea or coffee for him and my mom, smoking cigaretts or cigars (time was different back then! LOL) and listening to all his record albums. He had over two thousands albums - even though I was a little girl, I knew how amazing his collections were! And I remember it was my favorite time of the day - listening to music, asking questions and talking with my dad and my mom. I really didn't care about other things...

So, I told my daughters there will be no TV at least three whole days/nights out of a week from now on. Even mom isn't going to watch it. I think we will be able to accomplish more as family without TV or internet. I will probably read more books or do stuff around the house, all the things I've taken for granted. And you know what? My girls did just fine after dinner. They played with their toys while I played my favorite music. I'm not sure how long I can go without internet, but I want to embrace the life without tv or internet as much as I can..

So what do you think: Can you live without tv or internet???

9 comments:

tristan said...

I've done this before! As a sort of "fast" and I'm telling you, it makes a difference. Finding other things to do besides watch reality television or be on the computer really brought me back to earth. I found myself reading books I promised myself I would read, baking more, reading books to Tevyn, taking more pictures, and just resting. I'm excited to hear about your results and I can see myself enforcing a similar rule again in our house. Thank yoU!

Ms. Salti said...

I know I can't live without it, but I think cutting down on time spent in front ofthe tv or computer isn't a bad thing! Good luck with your family time! I'm sure the girls will appreciate it when they're older!

eri said...

oh man, i don't think i could! tv maybe, but i think i'd be lost w/out the internet! it's so sad but true!!! i was just thinking today how we rely so much on technology that when something goes out like internet or cell phone service...we don't know what to do w/ourselves!

i should limit my amounts of internet usage. :)

Dionne said...

That's a great idea, Maki! You can do it. Brian and I don't have a tv and it's been that way for over a year - it's great!

* said...

We don't have tv, I don't know about the net, but yeah sure we could do anything we want really.

Working all day, coing home to relax and meet my friends on the net is good for me.

♡ This Chiq said...

love this post... made me think about the good ol' days [back when i was a little girl -- back when kids did more 'outdoor' games/activities instead of staying in to play video games and watch tv all day]

Bayjb said...

Oh this is a tough one. I would have to say......TV because I can watch it on the internet :) Phew!

Maki said...

Girlies: We've been doing pretty good about watching TV except watching the Olympics... I know one thing that I can't live without internet!!!

Jennifer Vanderbeek said...

This weekend I managed not to check my email for over 24 hours--mostly because I was too busy getting ready for and hosting a Wedding Shower but, still, it does happen. Withdrawal sets it eventually, though.

That's the thing about having a part-time gig (a nightgig some friends call it) that is blogging/webcomics/etc--in order to work you have to be online!

Television is a whole 'nother story, though. I'll often have nights where I listen to iTunes or Pandora while I work instead of turning on TV for background noise--much more productive that way, too!

(stopping by from SITS)

Related Posts with Thumbnails

You Have Landed

   

Thank You For Stopping By!!!!