Sunday, January 10, 2010

Forever Young...



Today we had a surprise birthday party for my father in law's aunt(JT's stepdad's.) She turned 90. My mother in law told us not to say, "Surprise!!!" because she was afraid it might give the aunt a heart-attack or something. So we sang Happy Birthday instead... Oh it was really nice - she was seriously surprised and she dropped everything and her mouth was opened for about two minutes. She couldn't believe it.
She looks pretty good for 90 and is doing really well for being that old. There were 24 people at my mother in law's house and we had such great time...

As many of you already know, one of the things that I fear is aging. It's something we can't avoid and we'll be old no matter what. It's human nature and I am trying to embrace it as hard as I can. But I'm going to be honest, 1/2 of me is really not looking forward to getting old. I think I'm afraid of being crippled or not being able to do the things I was able to do when I was younger. Losing the hearing or not being able to wear cute dresses, or simply the unknown of how I will look in thirty years.

But looking at my aunt tonight and seeing her surrounded by all the people she loves, I know it can't be that bad. Actually it's a wonderful thing... The laughter or love or happiness that I saw today is something I look forward to when I get old and maybe a grandmommy...

BTW, Florida is having a very cold weather - I hear many people complaning, but I'm enjoying it because I get to wear my winter coat or boots which I don't get to use all the much here. No matter where you are, I hope you're staying warm!

xoxo

P.S. Thanks to http://brittanyciara.blogspot.com/Brittany - she gave me an award yesterday! I will accept and post it tomorrow! Thank you sweetheart! xoxoxo

7 comments:

Dionne said...

The older I get, the more I worry about losing people, too. I know the feeling. But how special that you got to celebrate such a milestone birthday with your FIL's Aunt. I am sure she felt loved and so special.

Jennifer said...

I haven't had to deal with the loss of a family member yet *knock on wood* so I have the same worries about getting older, it's so nice to enjoy these times now though huh?

My great grandpa is 91, I'm really hoping he gets to see his great-great grandchild next june!!

Jennifer said...

Oh, PS: I'm not a random stalker, haha, I found you from SITS!! :)

* said...

Ok, when you said she was 90, that was the first thought...don't surprise her. We gave my gram one at 60 and I think she was ready to keel over. I have learned my lesson.

Sounds fun.

Laura @ My Thoughts-Uninterrupted said...

I've got an award for you at my place tomorrow!

Bayjb said...

Wow you're the only person from Florida I know of who is mildly happy about the weather. EVERYONE else is furious. What are the temps near you?

Maki said...

Dionne: I feel the same way. I'm constantly worry about it simply because Florida has so many elderly people and it keeps reminds me of it...

Future Mama: That's awesome that your grandma is 91! It's a blessing. Thanks so much for stopping by:)

Imperfect Stepford Wife: Exactly. Even my hubs said, "Yeah, it wont be fun anymore if she drops dead at her birthday party.." Thank god she was fine and smiling!

Laura: Really????? I love you!

Bayjb: Am I the only one you know? Yeah, but it's true, this crazy weather has caused serious damage to orange and strawberry farmers, and to FL economy. Maybe I shouldn't be happy, eh?

Related Posts with Thumbnails

You Have Landed

   

Thank You For Stopping By!!!!