Wednesday, June 9, 2010

This Is Why Your Mama Taught You To Wash Your Hands!!!!



I've written a post or two about irresposible dog owners who don't pick up their dog poop before(I'm too lazy to post the link here). My motto is if you can't clean after your own dog or cat, you have no right to own one. I've talked about my kids playing on the grass right in front of our condo or my in law's house and sure enough, we see dog poop laying around. It's dirty and they transmit disease and those irresponsible people have not idea - it really make me angry. Really angry.

I watch "Monsters Inside Me" on Animal Planet every Wednesday regardless the grossness. It's about parasites in humans. Yes, it sounds totally gross and if you watch this show, there are many moments where you just want to vomit. My husband refuses to watch it with me. He gets sick just thinking about tapeworms and such. Seriously people, it's disgusting, however, I've learned so much from this show: how delicate our body is, and how important it is to pay attention to our environment. Parasites love to eat you - intestines or eyes or brain. Sorry, it's graphic, but it's true!

My mom used to tell me to wash my hands every time I come home, and tells me still today to make sure to wash my hands and my daughters hands when we come home from outside. And I'm so glad she taught me tirelessly about the importance of washing hands.

The show "Monster Inside Me" talks about the horrible experiences that many have gone through that are caused by parasites. Most of them don't know they have them until they get really sick. Today's episode was about a boy who lost his sight in his left eye due to nasty parasites. And believe it or not, there are many people whose eyes became the host of parasites.

Do you know how people get it? Many come from dog that's infected or touching dirty soil that have come in contact with infected animal's feces or dirty water. If you or your kids play outside without knowing the soil has parasites and touch your eyes, or mouth, or even touch some open cut on your skin, that's how parasites get into your body. They love human body because it's warm and moist inside. They lay eggs and have parties in your body. Humans are their great host.

True, getting infected by parasites are rare, but it happens. And it happens by touching poopy soil or dirty water or whatever, you get it without knowing it. It's really, really scary. So, if you are okay with it, I suggest you to watch the show. I don't want to get paranoid, but I think this show has reinforced my belief about being fanatic about washing hands and keep your stuff clean. That's really the only way to prevent it.

Trust me on this - wash your hands and don't put your dirty hand near your mouth!

9 comments:

New Jersey Memories said...

Maki,stopping by from SITS (after you stopped by my blog!) You're so right about always washing your hands. I'm pretty obsessed about it, too. If I can't get near a bathroom, I'll carry hand sanitizers and Wet Ones to clean my hands.

Ma What's 4 dinner said...

Oh it's so true. wash wash wash. so gross, sooooooo gross!!!

Lots of yummy love,
Alex aka Ma, What's For Dinner?
www.MaWhats4Dinner.com

Dionne said...

I totally hear ya! Brian and I are very careful about washing our hands. Brian is so good at it that I have never ever caught the flu or a cold off him if he has it, and it's because he is always making sure to wash his hands.

stylebyrachael said...

You can never be too careful, especially with our delicate bodies. I try to live by the rule "dirt don't hurt," because I do want to keep my immune system strong, but you honestly never know what you are going to get!

Anonymous said...

Stopping by from SITS.
Oh my gosh I had no idea. I'm pretty diligent with hand washing, but now that's getting turned up a notch.

Jessica (Bayjb) said...

Oh my god that is disgusting. I don't think I can watch that or ever scrub my hands enough.

MJ said...

So true. I hate when people don't pick up after their dogs. Fine if it's in your OWN backyard, but if it's a shared space, COME ON! Pick it up!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

Ahhhhhh, so gross!

Maki said...

Girlies: Seriously, it's super gross and disgusting. But you learn a lot by watching the show:)
Hope all of you had a lovely weekend!
xoxo

Related Posts with Thumbnails

You Have Landed

   

Thank You For Stopping By!!!!