Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Reassurance

I was talking to my boss's client Mrs. C who is one of my favorite person that I see at the salon. When the radio started playing Carrie Underwood's "I told you so" - Mrs. L asked me if I knew who sings the song. I told her it's Carrie Underwood. She said she liked the song because it sort of reminded her of her oldest daughter's wedding. Then she told me her youngest daughter Miss C (who is also my boss' client) danced with her father (Mrs. L's husband) at her sister's wedding because he wouldn't be able to dance with her when her time to get married.

"I Told You So"


I was kind of puzzled while I was listening to Mrs. C's story because I honestly thought that her husband was still alive. I've known her for the past 8 months since I started working at the salon. She told me before she moved to a bigger house before Christmas and she often talks about going to vacations to different places. Therefore I totally assumed that he is stil alive...

As it turned out, Mrs. C's husband passed away a year ago from pancreatic cancer. He left Mrs. L, two daughters and two sons. She told me how wonderful her husband was to her; she met him when she was only 21 and he was her best friend. He was a great father to their kids as well.

So back to the weddng story. When Mrs. C's oldest daughter got married, Mr. C was already diagnosed with cancer and he didn't have much time to live. Knowing that Mr. C wouldn't be there to walk his youngest daughter down on the aisle for her wedding, the family decided that it would be best Mr. C and Miss. C to share "Father & Daughter's Dance" at Miss. C's sister's wedding. When I heard that story, I couldn't help, but cry... It was so beautiful and yet so painful...

Mrs. C started to find a song on her iPhone and when she found the song, she played it for me. "Maki, this is the song... I am not a big fan of country music, but oh, I can still remember that day. Everybody was crying because you know....we all knew he wasn't going to be there for my baby daughter. It was such a bittersweet moment. Beautiful, but sad. I am okay now, but I used to cry every day and night. It was really hard for all of us to lose him.. My kids don't have a father now...."

"My Little Girl"


She said she and her family did a walk for pancreatic cancer a few weeks ago, now she starts to see the difference in her kids. She said the kids (age 30, 28, 25 & 23) were trying to be strong for their mom, but now it's been a year and she is doing better, the kids are realizing that their father is gone. They are going through some grieving time right now. My heart totally breaks for her and her family.

I did a post about the movie, "P.S. I Love You..." - it was a story about the widow's journey to overcome her sorrow and find meaning to her life after her husband's death. I realize now that what happens in that movie happens to people like Mrs. L and it repeats itself everyday. It's for real.

But I felt fortunate to be able to share the intimate story with Mrs. L. It was not easy for her to talk about her husband's death, but I think she's finally able to look back and smile... When she checked out, she held my hand and said, "I wish no one goes through the pain I'd gone through, losing a husband.." - and I could only smiled... Because I know that nothing is sure and permanent. God only knows....

6 comments:

Elizabeth Marie said...

I love both of those songs. I can't imagine losing a husband, or any loved one. And I watch movies like P.S I love you, and cry but never really think it will happen to me. And you're so right...only God knows.

Love you girl!

Dionne said...

Pancreatic Cancer is terrible. Two of my friends lost their fathers to it in the past two years.

Wow, what a sad but beautiful moment at the wedding. I am actually crying right now at the thought. Life is so fleeting - we never know when our time is up. We are so blessed by the time we have, and things like that make us realize that life and the things in it truly are a gift.

I like Carrie Underwood. I saw her perform live at the American Idol finale last year - she was AMAZING! What a voice, and how gorgeous is she?!!

BonBon Rose Girls Kristin said...

What a tragic story. I simply can't imagine my life without the hubs. That poor woman. But an incredibly touching moment that must have been for her daughters.

Bayjb said...

That is such a sad story. I cannot imagine what that is like. I cry at movies that handle this but really cannot imagine what losing a part of you feels like.

Nicole Marie said...

i can't help but tear up when i hear stories like this. i can't imagine loosing my dad and not having him walk me down the isle when i get married.

gosh so sad.

Maki said...

Elizabeth: I often think that all these sad things happen only in the movies or kind of unreal to me either. But then, when I meet someone like Mrs. L, it gives me the sense that nothing is permanent. I love you too!

Dionne: I'm so sorry to hear about your friends. That's terrible. And you're so right - life and everything in it truly are gift. Gosh you went to the American Idol last year??? Cool! And yes, she is pretty.

Kristin: I know I can't picture myself not having my husband in my life, and more so for my daughters.. They need their daddy when they get married..

Bayjb: I think we don't know the true pain until you really experience it for yourself... I don't want to, but then it's inevitable..

Nicole: I know exactly what you're saying - I don't even wanna think about losing my parents. It totally scares me.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

You Have Landed

   

Thank You For Stopping By!!!!